Student Legal Services
UF Student Legal Services, funded by Student Government, is a department of SG Advising and Operations within the Division of Student Affairs. The department provides a wide range of legal services to registered UF students and student organizations.
- To empower students to make positive choices in their personal, academic and professional lives, optimizing their university experience and preparing them to become leaders in the global community.
- To provide legal advice, confidential counseling and legal representation of the highest professional standards, and to serve as effective advocates of students’ rights.
- To educate students proactively through outreach and community enrichment programs.
- To provide professional development opportunities to students interested in the legal field.
UF Student Legal Services seeks to be recognized as an exceptional legal service provider among university legal communities. SLS seeks to enrich the personal and professional development of students by providing accessible legal services, personalized legal counseling, development opportunities, and proactive education that adapts to meet student needs.
Student Legal Services upholds all values, ethics, and standards of practice promulgated by the Florida Bar and the University of Florida. Our office is also committed to the values of:
- Student Retention through Academic and Personal Excellence
- Legal Education, Leadership, and Service
- Diversity and Respect through Responsibility
- Well-being through Proactivity and Accountability
UF Student Legal Services shall actively promote equal opportunity policies and practices conforming to laws against discrimination. SLS is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status as protected under the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act.
Student Legal Services at the University of Florida (SLS) promotes diversity and inclusion within its professional staff and student participants through fostering a community of inquiry. SLS invites people of diverse races, creeds, colors, religions, ages, disabilities, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, sizes, marital status, national origins, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information, veteran status, and the many other ways one might identify, to participate in and benefit equitably from SLS services and involvement experiences. Along with the greater UF community and the Division of Student Affairs, SLS has a shared responsibility to demonstrate integrity, respect, compassion and opportunity by:
- Acknowledging biases within ourselves and others
- Inspiring individuals to foster inclusion in their daily lives
- Engaging others in spirited dialogue about differing opinions, perspectives, and values
- Respecting our community as a marketplace of free ideas
- Maintaining a safe environment for civil and respectful communication
As our campus and community are becoming increasingly diverse, we seek to provide resources and services that reflect our awareness of the increasing needs of the Gator Nation. SLS respects and values the differences of individuals, encourages a robust learning environment, and better prepares students for an increasingly global, diverse workforce and inclusive society upon graduation.